The Village of WestClay is a neighborhood community with charming streetscapes and beautifully maintained green spaces, thriving businesses and restaurants and a variety of historically inspired architecture. Established in 2000, the Village was designed as a Traditional Neighborhood Development and an example of New Urbanism, featuring mixed housing styles and a variety of lot sizes, parks, green spaces and paths.
United States history inspired the naming of Village parks, ponds and streets, including famous Hoosiers, presidents, vice presidents and other prominent leaders. Many of the place names are identical to or adaptations of names found in London and the English countryside.
Named for Abercorn, earls, marquises and dukes of title in Scottish peerage borne by members of the Hamilton family.
Named for John Adams, U.S. President (1797-1801) and John Quincy Adams, U.S. President (1825-1829).
Named for Louisa May Alcott, author of Little Women and Little Men.
Apsley is a village in the county of Hertfordshire, England. The name means aspen wood.
Named for John Archdale, Governor of South and North Carolina and the convener of the first Quaker Meeting House in Charleston, South Carolina.
Named for Ashworth Street located in the Greater Manchester town of Roachdale in England.
Named for a street in historic Charleston, South Carolina
Named for Berwick-upon-Tweed, the northernmost town in England.
Named for Albert J. Beveridge, U.S. Senator from Indiana (1899-1911) and author of the biographies for John Marshall and Abraham Lincoln.
Named for Frederick Edwin Smith, 1st Earl of Birkenhead. English lawyer and statesman (1872-1930) and author of the Law of Property Act.
Named for Bishopsgate, one of the 25 wards of the city of London.
Named for Blisland, a village and civil parish in Cornwall, England.
Named for The Battle of Blore Heath which was fought during the English Wars of the Roses in 1459 at Blore Heath in Staffordshire, England.
Named for Bonaventure Cemetery in Savannah, Georgia, which is the final resting place of Johnny Mercer, Conrad Aiken, and Edward Telfair, and the site of scenes in the novel and film Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.
Named for William Branford, a South Carolina planter who acquired a fine home on Meeting Street in Charleston, South Carolina, by marrying “an agreeable young lady with a handsome fortune.”
Named for Thomas Broughton, the First Royal Governor of South Carolina (1730-1737). Broughton Street is the main commercial street in historic Savannah, Georgia.
Named for William Buckland, Professor of Geology at Oxford. In 1824, Buckland published the first description of a recognized dinosaur fossil, Notice on the Megalosaurus or Great Fossil Lizard of Stonesfield.
Named for William Bull, the Lieutenant Governor and acting Governor of South Carolina (1737-1743). His son, William Bull II, was acting Governor of the Colony five times and was the first native South Carolinian to receive a medical degree. Bull Street is located in historic Savannah, Georgia.
Named for Sir Edmund Burke, a British statesman who famously opposed the revolution in France in his Reflections on the French Revolution and supported the revolution in America in his Conciliation with America.
Named for John C. Calhoun, the Secretary of War under James Monroe, U.S. Vice President under John Quincy Adams, and Andrew Jackson, U.S. Senator from South Carolina, and Secretary of State under John Tyler. One of the leaders of the Great Compromise.
Named for Robert Arthur Cecil, the 3rd Marquis of Salisbury. Longest-serving Prime Minister of Great Britain (1885-1886, 1886-1892, 1895-1902). Annexed Burma, secured the open door in China, reconquered the Sudan and waged the Boer War.
Named for Chartwell, the home of Winston Churchill in Westerham, Kent, England.
Named for Frederick Thesiger, 1st Baron Chelmsford. English lawyer and Lord Chancellor (1858-1859, 1866-1868).
Named for John Chew, who sailed to Virginia on the “Charitie” in 1622, took up residence on Hogg Island opposite Jamestown, and in 1624, was elected to the Virginia House of Burgesses. His son, Samuel, was a physician who served as Chief Justice of colonial Delaware, and his grandson, Benjamin, was Chief Justice of Pennsylvania. His lineal descendants are residents of the Village.
Named for Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain during World War II.
Named for George Rogers Clark, who led the expedition of Virginia volunteers who forced the British to surrender Vincennes and Kaskaskia, establishing a defense line that protected the colonies from invasion from the west.
Named for Henry Clay, U.S. Senator from Kentucky and three-time candidate for the presidency (1824, 1832, 1844).
Named for Schuyler Colfax, a U.S. Congressman from South Bend, Indiana. He served as Speaker of the House during the Lincoln and Johnson administrations (1863-1869) and as Vice President during the first Grant administration (1869-1873).
Named for Nathaniel Currier, who with his partner J. Merritt Ives, published lithograph prints depicting scenes, events and people important in American life under the trade name of Currier & Ives.
Named for Derry, a walled city in Northern Ireland.
Named for the Duke of York, a title of nobility in the United Kingdom. It has been granted since the 15th century.
Named for Dumbarton Oaks, an estate in Georgetown, Washington, D.C. Once the home of John C. Calhoun, it was the site in 1944 of the Dumbarton Oaks Conference, which led to the founding of the United Nations.
Named for Charles W. Fairbanks, U.S. Senator from Indiana (1897-1904), Vice President under Theodore Roosevelt (1905-1909) and unsuccessful candidate for Vice President on the ticket with Charles Evans Hughes in 1916.
Named for a neighborhood in Philadelphia, sometimes referred to as the “Art Museum Area.”
Named for John Filson, Kentucky’s first historian and one of the founders of Cincinnati. Author of The Discovery, Settlement and Present State of Kentucky (1784), his map was the first to focus solely on Kentucky.
Named for Finchley, an area of northwest London in the London Borough of Barnet.
Named for John Forsyth, Governor of Georgia, U.S. Senator and Secretary of State during the Andrew Jackson and Martin Van Buren administrations.
Named for Frogmore, a village on St. Helena’s Island in South Carolina, famous for its Frogmore Stew.
Located in The Meeting House, this meeting room is named for American author, nature photographer, and naturalist Gene Stratton-Porter (1863-1924), from Wabash County, Indiana. In 1917, she urged legislative support for the conservation of Limberlost Swamp and other wetlands in Indiana. She was a silent film-era producer who founded her own production company, Gene Stratton Porter Productions, in 1924. She also wrote several best-selling novels and columns for national magazines, such as McCall’s and Good Housekeeping.
Located in The Meeting House, this clubroom is named for George Sweet, a 1959 graduate of North Central High School in Indiana. An entrepreneur who started Sweet & Company, Inc. and Brenwick Development Company, Inc. in 1976, his company built approximately 300 homes and 35 commercial buildings. Several homes won national awards for innovative thinking and design. Brenwick has developed more than 6,000 residential lots in 29 communities, the largest being the Village.
Named for the Glebe lands that were set apart for the support of the established church. Seventeen acres in Charleston, South Carolina, west of King Street and north of Broad, were conveyed by Affra Harleston coming to the parish of St. Philip as a glebe.
Named for U.S. Senator Barry Goldwater, a candidate for U.S. President in 1964.
Named for Grafton, a street in the City of Westminster, London.
Named for Greencroft, a village in County Durham, England.
Named for George Grenville, British prime minister (1763-1765) and author of the Stamp Act.
Named for Button Gwinnett, a Georgia signer of the Declaration of Independence. His signature is the rarest among the signers due to his death in 1777.
Named for Edward Lindley Wood, 1st Viscount Halifax, British foreign secretary (1938-1940) and ambassador to the United States (1941-1946).
Named for Admiral William F. (“Bull”) Halsey, a commander of the Naval forces in the Southwest Pacific who defeated the Japanese in a three-day battle off the Solomon Islands.
Named for John Harleston, a Charleston, South Carolina real estate developer who platted Harleston Village, Charleston’s second suburb in 1770.
Named for William Henry Harrison, U.S. President (1841) and Benjamin Harrison, U.S. President (1889-1893).
Named for Thomas Hendricks, U.S. Senator from Indiana (1862-1866), Governor of Indiana (1873-1877) and Vice President during the first Cleveland administration, dying during his first year in office (1885).
Named for Herman B. Wells, longtime President of Indiana University (1937-1962).
Located in The Meeting House, the Hoagy Carmichael Ballroom is named for American musician, composer, songwriter, actor and lawyer Hoagland Howard Carmichael (1899-1981). Carmichael was one of the most successful Tin Pan Alley songwriters of the 1930s and was among the first singer-songwriters in the age of mass media to utilize new communication technologies such as television, electronic microphones and sound recordings.
Named for Horseferry, a street in the City of Westminster in central London.
Named for a British term: The Horse Guards protect the Queen and lead formal processions.
Named for Andrew Jackson, U.S. President (1829-1837).
Named for Thomas Jefferson, U.S. President (1801-1809) and author of The Declaration of Independence.
Named for Jonathan Jennings, the first Governor of Indiana (1816-1822).
Named for John W. Kern, U.S. Senator from Indiana (1911-1917), candidate for Vice President in 1908 and Senate majority leader during the Woodrow Wilson administration.
Named for Lajos Kossuth, a nobleman, lawyer, journalist and Governor-President of the Kingdom of Hungary (1848-1849).
Named for Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette. Resigning his commission in the French army to join the struggle for American independence, he was commissioned a Major General in the Continental Army by Congress, became a close associate of Washington and participated in the final campaigns of the war in Virginia.
Named for Leighton, a civil parish in Cheshire, England.
Named for Thomas Limehouse, a Charleston, South Carolina, real estate developer who subdivided the family lands, modestly named the street “Limehouse” and constructed a modest brick single house at No. 7 Limehouse Street in 1830.
Named for General Douglas MacArthur, who commanded the Rainbow Division in France during World War I, served as Army Chief of Staff under Presidents Hoover and Roosevelt, was allied supreme commander in the Southwest Pacific during World War II, ruled Japan as the head of the occupation forces during the postwar period and led the allied forces in Korea until relieved by President Truman.
Named for Gabriel Manigault, the “gentleman architect” of Charleston, South Carolina, who designed the South Carolina Society Hall, the Joseph Manigault House, the Orphan House Chapel and the Bank of the United States—now the Charleston City Hall.
Named for Thomas Marshall, Indiana Governor (1909-1913) and U.S. Vice President under Woodrow Wilson (1913-1921). He once noted that what this country needs is a good five-cent cigar.
Named for Paul McNutt, Indiana Governor (1933-1937) who established the “2% Club” pursuant to which every state employee was expected to “donate” two percent of his salary to the Democratic State Committee.
In the New England colonies, local public business was conducted at an annual meeting where town officials were elected and major decisions made. In this region, the principal public building was the Meeting House, while to the south and west, it was generally the town hall or county courthouse. Certain religious denominations, principally the Quakers and the Presbyterians, referred to their places of worship as Meeting Houses rather than churches. Occupying a place of prominence, a principal road led to the Meeting House.
Named for John Francis Mercer, a delegate from Virginia to the Continental Congress (1782-1785), U.S. Representative from Maryland (1792-1794) and Governor of Maryland (1801-1803).
Named for Milford, a large village in Surrey, England, dating back to the medieval period.
Named for Louis-Joseph, Marquis de Montcalm, Commander of French forces in North America during the French and Indian War. Following a series of victories against British forces, he was defeated and mortally wounded at the Battle of Quebec (Sept. 13, 1759).
Named for William Moultrie, who along with a band of patriots, repulsed the British fleet in Charleston Harbor in 1776. In 1780, Charleston fell to the British. Moultrie was captured and remained a prisoner of war for two years.
Named for William de Mowbray, leader of the rising against King John and one of the signers of the Magna Carta.
Named for Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, Commander-in-Chief of Naval forces in the Pacific during World War II. He accepted the surrender of the Japanese in 1945 aboard the USS Missouri in Tokyo Harbor.
Named for General John J. Pershing, who suppressed the Moro uprising in the Philippines in 1913. He led the expedition into Mexico against Francisco Villa in 1916 and was commander-in-chief of the American Expeditionary Force in Europe during World War I.
Named for James Louis Petigru, Unionist and former Attorney General of South Carolina. He opposed secession, refused to lend aid and comfort to the Confederacy and continued to reside in Charleston as one of its most respected citizens until his death in 1863.
Named for Dan Quayle, U.S. Senator from Indiana (1981-1989) and U.S. Vice President under George H.W. Bush (1989-1993).
Named for the Queen of England’s royal guards.
Named for Colonel William Rhett, who commanded a flotilla that repulsed a Franco-Spanish attack on Charleston, South Carolina in 1706. He later captured the infamous Major Stede Bonnet, the so-called “gentleman pirate” who was marauding colonial commerce.
Named for Ronald Reagan, U.S. President (1981-1989).
Named for Theodore Roosevelt, U.S. President (1901-1909) and Franklin D. Roosevelt, U.S. President (1933-1945).
Named for Archibald Philip Primrose, 5th Earl of Rosebery and Prime Minister of Great Britain (1894-1895).
Named for Henry S. Schricker, the only Indiana Governor elected to non-consecutive terms (1941-1945 and 1949-1953) under the 1851 Constitution.
Named for Anthony Ashley Cooper, 3rd Earl of Shaftesbury. One of the Lords Proprietors of Carolina, in 1669 he issued the Fundamental Constitutions, drafted with the assistance of his secretary, John Locke, which established the framework for colonial government.
Named for Charles, 3rd Earl Stanhope, a member of the House of Lords who called for termination of the war against American colonies, advocated for parliamentary reform and broke with the ministry of William Pitt the Younger to support the French Revolution.
Named for William Howard Taft, U.S. President (1909-1913).
Named for Tom Taggart, U.S. Senator from Indiana (1916) and proprietor of the French Lick Springs Hotel.
Named for Edward Telfair, a member of the Continental Congress and signer of the Articles of Confederation. His son Andrew engaged the architect to design a residence in Savannah, Georgia in 1819.
This room in the Meeting House is named for Tom Huston who earned his political and science and law degrees from Indiana University. He was an associate counsel to Richard Nixon from 1969-1971. Most recently, he has served on the board and executive committee of Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana, Inc. He is listed in the Who’s Who of America, Best Lawyers in America and the Who’s Who in Indianapolis Commercial Real Estate.
Named for Charleston South Carolina’s best-kept secret.
As Governor of the Indiana Territory and Commissioner of Indian Affairs, William Henry Harrison negotiated with the Indiana tribes for the purchase by the United States of tribal lands. The boundary between the land acquired by treaty and the land remaining in the possession of the tribes was fixed by survey and was often known as the “Treaty Line.”
Named for Edmund Trowbridge, presiding judge in the Boston Massacre Trial (1771).
Named for Harry S. Truman, U.S. President (1945-1953).
Named for Arnoldus Vanderhorst, an officer in the Revolutionary War who served under the “Swamp Fox,” Francis Marion. He was elected Mayor of Charleston for two terms and served as Governor of South Carolina (1794-1796).
Named for James E. Watson, U.S. Senator from Indiana (1916-1933) and Senate majority leader during the Hoover administration.
Named for Daniel Webster, U.S. Senator from Massachusetts, Secretary of State under Harrison, Tyler and Fillmore, and America’s greatest orator and articulator of the Constitution.
Named for Woodrow Wilson, U.S. President (1913-1921).
The Village features distinctive areas with different types of homes and architecture—each with its own unique feel. Village homes are predominantly Federal, Greek Revival, Italianate and Gothic Revival in style, although some are styled after later Victorian residential styles common in 19th century Indiana towns.
Located east of Chelmsford and west of Southlake, many of Ashland’s homes are bordered by woods or Limehouse Pond.
Bellingrath features estate homes with pre-1940s architecture. Adjacent to woods or parkland on three sides, many homes are within walking distance of Provost Park and its amenities—including a pool, fitness facilities and walking paths.
Just east of the Village Center, Bishopsgate’s homes reflect 19th century architecture. Jackson Circle, marking the northeast entrance, features a fountain surrounded by a formal English garden and flanked by pergolas. Chapel Square and Broughton Green are also located in Bishopsgate. Chapel Square is designed as a formal garden, with a decorative iron structure as a focal point. Broughton Green features a play area with a large open green area..
Chelmsford features estate lots with architectural design of the early 1900s. Tree Shadow Pond and Provost Park amenities are to the west, open parkland is to the south and the Village Center and Druid Pond are to the north.
Clarkston is in the northwest corner of the Village, north of 131st Street. It features estate homes with larger lots with traditional and revival architecture styles. The Webster Park clubhouse and pool is located on the east side of Clarkston, featuring a swimming pool, a workout room and tennis courts.
Located on the southeast corner of Towne Road and 131st Street, Deerstyne includes village and garden homes reflecting traditional 19th century architecture. Deerstyne Park features a play area and a stone fire pit.
The site of the Manors at WestClay, Dumbarton is north of 131st Street. The home styles are Colonial Revival, Neo-Classical and Italian Renaissance architecture on wooded and waterfront sites. It’s near Webster Park, which includes a clubhouse with a pool and exercise room.
Homes in Finchley Park, located at the southern end of the Village, feature pre-1940s architecture. Finchley Park offers two distinctive vistas for the southern section of the Village nature trail.
Located on the north side of 131st Street and south of Clarkston, Frogmore features estate homes with traditional styles indicative of Indiana architecture at the turn of the 20th century. Frogmore features the Webster Park wetlands, Dogwood Pond and Frogmore Green and is adjacent to the Webster Park amenity center.
Gadsen is the Village’s western most neighborhood and consists of homes reflecting pre-1940s architecture. Many of the homes are Indiana Craftsman or Colonial Revival.
Kew Overlook has only eight lots, all of which have a view of Kew Pond across Hourglass Drive. This neighborhood’s architectural design reflects 19th century architecture.
The Leighton neighborhood, consisting of estate homes reflecting pre-1940s architecture, is at the southern end of the Village. Homes along the southern section of the neighborhood border the Village nature trail, dividing the Village and Coxhall Park.
The Northlake neighborhood reflects a special section of the Village. The homes along Beaufian are reminiscent of the Back Bay of Beaufort, Georgia. The front of these homes face Hourglass Lake. Other homes in Northlake are Italianate, Shingle, Adams, Federal, French Eclectic or Tudor.
One of the first sections to open in the Village, Rhettsbury is within walking distance of the Village Center. The homes’ architectural styles are reflective of the 19th century. Rhettsbury is also home to Herman Wells Park and Nimitz Park. The Cottages reflect classical architectural styles of the late 1800s.
Along with Rhettsbury, South Village was on of the first sections of the Village. South Village is within walking distance to Provost and the Village Center. The area features several parks and is adjacent to the fishing ponds. The architecture is reflective of 19th century and includes Gothic, Neo-Gothic, Victorian, Queen Anne, Federalist, Italianate and Greek Revival
Southlake is divided into two sections by Milford Street. It includes estate homes with a view of Hourglass Lake. Homes in Southlake feature the architectural period of the 1940s.
Homes along Broad Street showcase traditional styles indicative of Indiana architecture in the 1800s through the 1940s, including Victorian, Colonial, Georgian, Second Empire, Queen Ann and Tudor. Nestled between the neighborhoods of Trowbridge and Bishopsgate are Hidden Park and Hidden Pond. A nature area and walking path encircle the pond.
The Uptown section of the Village is a blend of businesses and townhomes featuring Art Deco architecture reflective of pre -1940s American design.
The Meeting House is the gateway into the retail center of the Village, with a variety of businesses and restaurants. The Meeting House is a three-story Greek Revival structure with meeting rooms, banquet facilities and clubrooms. The exterior features a large cast iron fountain.
The Villas are a low maintenance section of the Village. These homes are Craftsman, French Eclectic and Colonial Revival.
The West Village includes several ponds and parks. The fountain in the center of Ronald Reagan Green is a twin to the fountain in front of the Meeting House. The southern section includes parkland and residential neighborhoods, featuring townhomes in the Italianate and Queen Anne architectural styles.
IT’S ALL ABOUT COMMUNITY
Explore beautifully maintained green spaces and active amenities for the whole family.