The Village of WestClay embodies the principles of “New Urbanism”, also known as “Traditional Neighborhood Developments (TND)”. These new communities generally share certain characteristics including a mix of use and housing types, an interconnected street network, a town center, formal civic spaces, and a pedestrian –oriented design with pocket parks.
Set on 719 acres, the neighborhoods of The Village of WestClay reflect a variety of lifestyles. The Village offers homes in many different sizes, styles and prices, yet unified by the complementary traditional exterior architecture. Framing the neighborhoods are 171 acres of open space providing places for reflection and recreation. Upon entering The Village, visitors are impressed with the historical accuracy of the architecture. The Village of WestClay features exterior architectural styles typically found in Indiana at the turn of the last century. Several traditional styles (Federal, Greek Revival, Italianate and Gothic Revival) are predominate in the Village Center. Later Victorian and other traditional residential styles (Colonial, Classic, Tudor and Gothic) may be found in the Estate area. Even though these homes have traditional exteriors, they have the most up-to-date floor plans and amenities.
However, the initial excitement of visitors is only the beginning of what is truly an adventure as they travel through a community marked by hidden historical treasures begging to be discovered. After spending some time in The Village, it becomes clear that the ponds, parks and streets have a story to tell.
A walk through The Village of WestClay is a history lesson as many places of interest in The Village are named for famous Hoosiers and other prominent persons.
These include four presidents and six vice presidents of the United States (of whom five were Hoosiers).
- Thomas Jefferson – 1801-1809 (Jefferson Circle)
- Andrew Jackson – 1829-1837 (Jackson Circle)
- William Henry Harrison – 1841 (Harrison Park)
- Benjamin Harrison – 1889-1893 (Harrison Park)
- Schuyler Colfax, South Bend, was elected with U.S. Grant in 1868 (Colfax Circle)
- Thomas Hendricks, Shelbyville, was elected with Grover Cleveland in 1884 and died less than a year after taking office (Hendricks Pond)
- Charles Fairbanks, Indianapolis, was Teddy Roosevelt’s vice president (Fairbanks Park)
- Thomas Marshall, Columbia City, was elected with Woodrow Wilson (Marshall Pond)
- Dan Quayle, Huntington, served with George H. Bush from 1989 to 1993 (Quayle pond)
- John C. Calhoun of South Carolina, the only man to serve under two presidents, J.Q. Adams and Andrew Jackson (Calhoun Square)
- Jonathan Jennings, first governor of Indiana (Jennings Green)
- Thomas Hendricks, first democrat elected governor following the Civil War (1872) and vice president under Cleveland (Hendricks Pond)
- Thomas Marshall (1908) also served as vice president under Woodrow Wilson (Marshall Pond)
- Paul McNutt (1932) New Deal governor (McNutt Pond)
The Village of WestClay Business & Retail Centers
The Village of WestClay features two distinct business areas. The Village Center is located in the heart of The Village just south of Main Street and WestClay Uptown is located south of Main Street, west of Towne Road.
The Village Center
The Meeting House is the gateway from the north into the retail center of The Village.
WestClay Uptown, located in the northern part of this new section is the second commercial district in The Village. Designed to be more automobile intensive, our current businesses include Chase Bank, CVS, and National Bank of Indianapolis. Primrose School is also located in this area. Information on these businesses can be found under the West Village Businesses tab.
Keep checking back as more businesses are added!